Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Night



Well, all I can say about the Celtic Thunder concert is...wow!! So much fun. I still can't believe I did it and it's all over. Although this stuffy nose and scratchy throat are reminders.

Katie and I drove up after my class and walked around for a little bit at 16th St. Mall (Denver). It was freezing and windy. Within...oh, I'd say an hour, I could feel my head being enveloped by the sensations I get when I have a cold coming on. Dern, I thought I could make it through the semester without getting sick. Let's hope it doesn't take off and go all haywire.

So we got there plenty early, got all parked and hurried in. The "theatre" it was in was like a big arena...a large flat floor surrounded by seats on all sides. Only half of the floor was filled with seats and people sat up on the sides only about...five rows up. So less than half of the theatre was filled, and it holds about 6,000 people. Katie and I were in the farthest back section...we were surrounded by elderly people. I'd say at least 50% of the audience demographics were elderly people. There is as much unenthusiasm from them as there is enthusiasm, making it probably not so energetic for the performers. But Katie and I did enough screaming for our whole section.

The show was made up of two section. The first they sang a bunch of more Celtic songs that are not on any of their albums. The second was all "It's Entertainment" songs (such as "Home" which I posted earlier). They sang a lot of those songs on the album, the only differences being that Ryan substituted "Bad Bad Leory Brown" with "Viva La Vida" (which was, btw, probably my favorite version of the song). I wish they hadn't cut out "Amazing Grace" just because it is so beautiful and gives Damian more of a solo. Thankfully they did most of the awesome songs like "Home", "I Wanna Spend My Life With You", and "Hallelujah" (which I cried during because it's just so beautiful and it was Tracey's favorite...). But it was still AHmazing!! Their voices sounded perfect considering the high altitude.

Some of the unplanned funny moments...Keith either forgetting the words or losing his voice during a group number. Damian laughing in the middle of a verse during "Home" (I think the pianist did something funny...I didn't see), and Paul starting to lift up Damian's kilt while they were singing "Ireland" at the end. Oh, and Keith doing his trademark little heel click thing as they left the stage after the show.

aaaw, there is a cute little squirrel out back hopping over leaves....

anyways, it was a terrific show! afterwards, I swear, within about twenty minutes of the show ending the entire place was just empty. Katie and I hung around so we weren't caught up in the made car rush. Katie topped off the night by asking the man at the merchandise table if the guys were going to come out. Hahaha...we aren't screaming fangirls or anything. I'm just a singing fangirl...freaked Katie out as we walked to the car by singing "I wanna spend my life with you [Damian]!!"

And now it is all over. :( Someday when I'm even richer (or probably poorer) I might go again and get better seats. But I am sort of relieved that I'm not like, all passionate and emotional. I loved every minute and was not believing I was actually hearing them in person. But for some reason (and I'm not stuck up about this, I'm just so humbly thankful) it was so clear to me that these men have talent, amazing talent, but it's all given to them by God. And unlike Katie, who just felt so passionate about music afterwards, I just thought to myself, "I love music, I love Celtic Thunder, but I know that it's all just worldly passion. Give me Jesus."

4 comments:

  1. "I just thought to myself, "I love music, I love Celtic Thunder, but I know that it's all just worldly passion. Give me Jesus.""
    Amen!!! :-) <3

    Sounds like you had a great time!! :OD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep! That is so exciting!!! :D

    Ditto Amy. <3 :) I love ya Livi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, Liv, and I love the way you write. Just the way you mentioned that squirrel - I could almost hear you talking, instead of reading you! :)

    That sounds like a fab. night!!! Concerts are SOOOO fun!!! Maybe someday we could go to a concert together! (a good one, not a lame one. not even a not-so-fun-atmosphere-one)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I'm so glad you had a great time!
    I also LOVE how you mentioned the squirrel. It definitely sounded like a "Liv thing". :D

    ReplyDelete