Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"Take these broken wings..."

Less than a week and summer bliss ends. Overall this summer has been rather unproductive. Other than climbing to the top of Pikes Peak for the first time ever (after living at its base for 18 years). And if you count surviving living in a house with six teenage girls for a week an accomplishment, then I now have two to add to the list. Yep, the highlight of the summer was having two Chinese exchange students live with us for three weeks as well as having a good friend from the East Coast come to visit for a week. On top of that, we have an exchange student girl from New Zealand living with us until December. So this summer our family (and house) has been stretched large and we have experienced several different personalities and cultures all at once!
Dad gave me a mission at the beginning of the summer: find scholarships for college. Yeah, I've found them. I just need to do them. And find colleges, as well. This semester for me is going to be jam-packed with research, homework, and lots of decision-making. Which, as those who live with me can tell you, is NOT my strong point.
My sis started her first day of high school yesterday. She didn't come home crying, so that's a big plus! We bought a cupcake for her at a new cupcake shop by the movie theatres--it was cherry Dr. Pepper flavored! Oh gosh, what I wouldn't give to make beautiful cupcakes like that one. But it is my mission to become a cupcake expert! Which is quite a feat at high altitude, let me tell you.
Oh yes! The reason we were by the cupcake shop was because we (Tracey the exchange girl and I) went to see Inception yesterday. Dudes, let me tell you. It was insane. I didn't walk out as confused as I thought I would be. It just...makes you think. And wish that you dreamed more. I don't remember my dreams anymore. Well, rarely. I only seem to remember bits of dreams that relate to people or events that are real in my life now. But after the movie, Tracey made the remark that what if we are all living in a dream now without realizing it? In a way, we sort of are living in a dream. If Heaven is my real "home" and should be my reality, then life on Earth is like a visit in a dream. Except that what we do and believe on Earth matters in Heaven.
I should have been writing some of my scholarship essay right now but I wasn't. So ha. Not really ;) I'm not a major procrastinator. Just a minor one.

No comments:

Post a Comment