Thursday, November 1, 2012

we survived Sandy!



This picture has been circulating around these last few days...it's the subway system in Manhattan.  The city got hit pretty bad by Hurricane Sandy, which thankfully has blasted over and left us...


I spent the night of the hurricane with these two girls, we ended up duct taping their windows because we were scared the wind would shatter them!  We got up the next day to several huge trees blown over and some power lines down.  Honestly, though, the damage could have been worse around our campus, seeing as only one building had trees fall on top of it. 

The real problems for Nyack College started after the hurricane when we all woke up in darkness with no electricity (obviously).  The entire area (like within miles and miles) was without power, and will be for days to weeks.  It was a surreal experience to be living with hundreds of other people, though, all without water, lights, and then seeing the school try their best to provide food for us.  Thankfully our cafeteria has a generator so at night time students could sign up for slots to charge their phones or computers.  Some people gave up on all attempts to keep up with homework, while others (like yours truly) woke up each day trying to make the best of our limited sunlight hours.  

Yesterday a few friends and I got in a car and attempted to find a Panera Bread or Starbucks with power that we could do some homework at.  The next town over had a shopping mall but we and everyone else had the same idea.  It took us an hour to find a parking spot and a table before we could finally get some work done.  I've never been shopping on Black Friday but my friends said that this adventure was almost the equivalent.  

I hate saying that it was a stressful week for me because I know it was a stressful week for everyone, and some people weren't so lucky to have hot water or food or even warm clothing and blankets.  But the week definitely took a toll on my spiritual and emotional state.  Not the hurricane itself, which was kind of exciting, but the days afterwards of a lot of confusion about classes and homework and tests.  Thankfully last night my  good friend Steph asked me to go home with her to Connecticut and on the ride back she allowed me to vent and cry.  Now I am enjoying power and peace in her lovely home...so thankful for a few days of peace and a chance to get a hold on my work load...my goal is to get as much done so I can enjoy Thanksgiving with my family!  


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Livvy... *hugs* It's stressful for everyone, but I'm so glad you're keeping things in perspective and being thoughtful of other people. You are always so sweet. ♥ Love you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So looking forward to having you home for thanksgiving....especially since you are doing all that work before you get here.
    dad

    ReplyDelete